Friday, August 31, 2007

my night owl

There really isn't any point to this post. I just wanted to document it for prosperity's sake:


Bekah is naked, again. She has been wearing various ballet outfits throughout the day (thanks to my friend Rae-holler) but, every time she has to potty we have to start ALL over again. She is such a night owl. She RARELY goes to bed before 12:30, and hates to wake up before 10 am. Just like her dad.

Right now Ryan is asleep on the couch, Chelsea is in bed, Olivia WANTS to go to bed but won't close her eyes for fear that Rebekah will change the channel, and Bekah, well, she's just as wide awake as a pilot over the pacific. And Bekah is a little bit of a troublemaker so that makes it even more difficult.

I have finally gotten her dressed again and she is standing at my side saying, "She don't like it," trying to convince me that we need to turn the light on in the living room because the hamster is scared. And the music has come on the t.v., so she wants me to know, "It's over. It my turn."

Spongebob now.

Anyway...I have to watch her with the hamster. She just opens his cage to say hello, and he is just looking for a few seconds of "unsupervised" time with her to give her a bite and a little retribution for her shaking his exercise ball like a snow globe every time we turn our backs.

She's back again, something about buying a princess lala (Cinderella) thing at the store? Sleeping in the living room? Playing Dora games? I don't know. She doesn't make much sense. Now she's found the plastic hamster bed that Olivia broke earlier tonight and she is convinced that the hamster wants to sleep on it. She says, "Mom, we get a tape for this." "Maybe daddy can do it in the morning" I say, trying to stall. Now she says, "Hey Manny can fix it." I think that's a show. Apparently, according to Bekah, Manny's forgotten his car, but he will be here soon.

Now she doesn't want to watch Spongebob, she wants Pinky Dinky Doo. Of course that is one of the only shows that they've taken off of Cable on Demand. Now, to show her anger, she has started panting and ripping pieces of paper in half and yelling.

HOORAY. Erik's just called to say he's coming home. She has to talk to him of course. It's 10:47 pm. She's talking to dad about the hamster bed, told him he needed glue. He's clearly trying to get off the phone. Bekah says, "In a minute, I have to talk to you." Now she is talking about how they got into Chelsea's makeup tonight. I don't know if he's able to follow any of it though. You can only understand every other word or so, and to just hear and not watch her explain is especially tough. "I'm not done yet." I hear her say. She's wandered in the living room now. Something about "smack your butt and run away." "I'm not done yet" again. "Mom, someone's hang up the phone. Someone's not talking!" "DAD!" "DADDY!" "Mommy, which button?" "Dad, I need your help." "HELLO" "I can't talk now and I need to tell him something, RIGHT NOW!" "Daddy! Daddy! Don't hang the phone." Now she's really mad, she's counting. "One. Three. Five. SIX. HELLO!" "Mom, I need to talk her something."

She's found a digital camera. She is convincing me that I want to have my picture taken. She has announced that if I don't cooperate she's going to smack my butt and smack my face. "Where is the button?" "Say Cheese." Of course the lens if facing her. Now she is playing with the accordion blinds in my room, looking outside. She still can't get off the digital camera. The batteries are dead. It doesn't work....she's not dissuaded.

"Aren't you tired?" I ask. "I'm not tired mom," she says. She's found herself in the mirror.

"Hello." "Do you like my tail?" she asks in her pretty innocent voice (she is referring to the skirt on her ballerina dress). Now she is singing to herself in the mirror, while throwing the accordion blind over her head. Some song about smacking your butt and smacking your face. That must be the theme for this evening, hehe.

Now it's 11:05. "Go lay down" I sternly state. "I don't want to lay down," she replies. She's found a little people and a plastic train and she's playing with it on my bed.

Now she's crawling into the living room, "like a tiger" she says. The cartoon must of lured her in. Just for a second though, she's back now. She's giggling and shrugging her shoulders. "I love you now," she says.

Now she wants to sit in my lap. She's picked up the phone, "Hello, can I sit in mommy's lap?" she asks. "He says yes" she said. "I need to see the picture please." Once again, back to the camera. Oops, now she's moved on to singing to herself in the mirror again. She's very busy obviously. "I said YEAH," is apparently the name of this current song, because that is all she is saying. I think it's been carried on from the phone call where she asked to sit on my lap.

Now she's talking about the movie store.

Back to the "YEAH" song.

"Mom, I don't like cartoons, turn on Pinky Doo." "It's not on," I say. "I want to watch PINKY DOO!" Like if she repeats it over and over again and says it louder Comcast will hear her.

She's asked me to carry her to the couch, with the camera of course, but she's not done yet. She wants a pillow. I get the wrong one, it's a pink princess pillow with an iridescent crown. She wants me to put Livy in bed because she now wants to lay down on the green chair Olivia has finally collapsed onto. I get Olivia a blanket (because now, somehow, she's only wearing her Christmas underwear-she calls it that because it has snowflakes on it) and ignore Rebekah's requests to relocate her. She still doesn't like the cartoon, but it's apparently peaked her interest because she's been silent for a few minutes.

It's now 11:26.

"Can you turn on Ed and Eddy and carry me back to the couch?" She's holding her butt so I suggest a potty break and then carry her back to the couch.

"Mom, can you get me a pillow?" The princess pillow I brought her 10 minutes ago is on the floor. I go for Pooh Bear this time and get no complaints. I turn on Ed, Edd, and Eddy...and listen to her talk to the hamster. She's moved to the opposite side of the couch so her face is right next to his cage.

"Mom, I need a band-aid for my finger." It's 11:32 pm now. I don't know why, when, where or who--but I can assure you...it's NOT going to happen.

Once again, a few minutes of silence.

11:41. She's back. Explaining to me about the Ed, Edd, And Eddy episode she just watched. Something about a penguin, a helicopter, and flying far far away. She's found the paper she was ripping up earlier. Now she wants to color. She's upset that I'm not allowing that. "I want to color" she whines.

"You need to go to bed." "No, I want to color. I don't want to go to bed. I want Ed, Edd and Eddy again. Can I sleep in the chair?" "No," I say, " Olivia's in the chair." "I had the chair" she says. "I wanna lay down in the chair," she wails. Once again, repeating the phrase over and over again to emphasize her frustration. "Mom, I don't want the couch," she cries. Now the clothes are coming off again. "I don't want the couch!" This time more adamant. I get up threatening to paddle her and she runs to the couch screaming, holding her butt. I turn off the t.v. and sternly say, "It's time for bed." She runs into my room, throwing the door open. I get up from the computer and she runs, once again, for the couch...both hands protecting her little bottom. I tuck her blanket around her naked body and she is still continuing to scream, "I don't want to go to bed."

11:50 pm. She's standing outside my bedroom door, naked, screaming. "Mom, I want to watch t.v." she's saying. "Mom, I don't want to go to bed."

Where the heck is my husband! What a long day. Nothing a good night's sleep won't cure though. It's 11:52 now. Erik's not home yet, but I am exhausted.

11:57 pm. I get her dressed....AGAIN. "I wanna watch a movie." "OK," I say to pacify her, "daddy will put one in when he gets home." That's not good enough. She tried to do it herself. "Mom, it's stuck, " she announces. I put in Charlotte's Web. She said I yelled at her and made the hamster cry. I made him sad. I suspect that's not the case, but I am too tired to argue.

12:01 pm. "Mom, I love you. I love you. I love you," she says from the couch in the living room. "Now for the feature presentation" the t.v. declares.....the music starts.....I hear the garage door open and shut meaning Erik is finally home.

Good Night!

No comments: