Monday, August 13, 2007

first day of school


Ryan starts kindergarten today. His teacher's name is Ms. Dahlke. She seems very nice. 13 years experience. Very pretty, exotic asian features. Probably a size 2 after a HUGE meal. It makes me sad. I don't want him to give HER a marry ring too! I was willing to share my proposal with Nana but that is enough! I know, it's pathetic, I treat this teacher like the "other" woman. But she is! She's taking my baby away. She is going to be spending more time with him than me. She is going to teach him to read, so he won't need me to tell him the directions on his playstation games anymore. He's already taking showers! He doesn't need "mom" to wash his hair anymore. He can make a hotdog by himself in the microwave. He's stopped playing with "piggies" as much.....he's just growing up before my eyes and it makes me sad :-( As soon as he learns to make chocolate milk by himself and do his laundry he will have no use for me anymore :-(
Erik made me laugh. Ryan has kind of made up his own "sign language." Milk in ASL is taking your fist with the thumb up and squeezing, kind of like you are milking a cow. Ryan only drinks chocolate milk, so his "sign" for that is to also take his other fist with the thumb pointing down, place it on top of the first, and squeeze it too....in unison with the bottom one. To respresent the chocolate syrup being squeezed on the milk. We just take it for granted I guess, because he does it all the time. Every night he comes up to me squeezing both hands and I know....he wants chocolate milk. Erik said the other day, "I wonder what the lunch lady is going to say when Ryan goes up to her and asks for chocolate milk with his hands, lol!"
The girls are very sad that they aren't starting school. Well, more Bekah than Livy. She walks around talking all the time about her "cool" (school). She said that she needs a "pack pack" (backpack). She called nana the other day and told her that she needed to find her "flippers" (ballet slippers) because she would need them on her first day. I went ahead and bought both her and Livy folders with kittens on them to bring to Nana's house and told her that Papa would be her teacher. She's started calling him "Mr. Papa. " I don't know if she's going to buy it, but it's distracted her a bit.


I picked him up this afternoon. Erik said he told him he had, "the best day of his life." I don't know if I believe that....he's had quite a few great days with me! Anyway...this is the conversation we had in the car after I picked him up on the first day:

MOM: Do you have any friends?
RYAN: Yeah, one boy.
MOM: What's his name?
RYAN: I don't know his name, he speaks Spanish. Only
once. I don't know
how to speak Spanish.
MOM: Did you ask him?
RYAN: Yeah, he said Spanish.
MOM: Is that little boy your friend?
RYAN: Yeah
MOM: How do you
know?
RYAN: He told me it. The boy just made a friend with me, duh. I didn't
make a
friend with him.
MOM: So he's not your friend?
RYAN: Yeah.
MOM: He is your friend?
RYAN: No.
MOM: Why not?
RYAN: I don't
take crying people for my friend.
MOM: Did he cry.
RYAN: Yeah, he cried
two times.

He also learned a song about the library. It was cute. He brought his Buzz Lightyear lunchbox to school....Papa made his
lunch....peanut butter and jelly sock 'em in the belly, goldfish, cookies
and
chocolate milk. He said they had yummy muffins for breakfast, and the
cafeteria
sells chocolate milk, so that was good. When he got home he had a
HUGE
breakdown, but it's expected I think, he had a BIG
day!

Today is Nana's 61st birthday so we will have having
cake and ice cream soon and heading home.

1 comment:

Barbara Raymond said...

I think first day of school is always hard. I know that as much as Laura & John wanted to get Alex out of the house for a few hours, it was still a sad day for them seeing him off on the bus for the first time.

But I think you're deluding yourself if you think he won't need you anymore. He's a boy, who will one day be a man, and in my (limited) experience ALL men ALWAYS need their mommies! Mark never stopped needing his mom, even after she passed away.

But I think I understand the sadness. I wrote in my blog recently about how sad I got just from looking through photos of the family to post on my pages. So many pictures of adorable little munchkins that I could pick up to cuddle and kiss... It's sad to realize that phase of their lives is gone forever.

My solution was for Laura to pop out another kid, but she was less than receptive. We currently are plotting to steal Amayah...we haven't worked out the details yet, though. I'll keep you posted!