Thursday, September 8, 2011

E-mail from Ryan's Teacher

I am posting e-mail back and forth because I am hoping, in 15 years, when Ryan is working on his THESIS in grad school this will be a funny memory..... *fingers crossed*

Good Morning,


Sorry I didn’t get back to you yesterday. I have been fighting a upper respiratory infection, and yesterday, unfortunately….it was winning. Honestly….I don’t know what to do. Yesterday we worked on reading. I had him read the story again, out loud, to me. I found places online about the story & made him do 3 tests about the horned toad and Reba Jo. He did well, but, that being said…I would not be at all surprised to hear he failed it. We worked on spelling words. We did the practice test twice. I printed out 4 activities off of www.spellingcity.com. He did all of them, in addition to your assignments. I doubt he’ll get even half of them right.

Even after spending over 3 sometimes agonizing hours of complete one on one time with him, with absolutely no distractions, I woke him up this morning and found next to him on the floor an uncompleted worksheet about simple and compound sentences. One that I am sure was supposed to be due today, but….with getting everyone dressed & hair combed, getting my own sick self ready, and packing lunches, and snacks before I went off to work a full day—I didn’t have any more time/energy to devote to it. He also did a math worksheet. Erik asked him what a “mean” was 2 minutes after he did it….he had no idea. So, clearly THAT lesson wasn’t sinking in. We are pretty confident he just got all of the answers off of the answer key-but I was knee deep in “a deal is a deal” Reba Jo crap and wasn’t in the position to completely switch gears and devote another hour to math. I don’t know what to do. I know he’s not stupid…but any attempts at “teaching” him are in jest. I am also afraid, through HIS behavior, that he’s creating a classroom environment where he’s being labeled (probably fairly) as a jerk. And it’s not because he’s a mean kid. It’s ironically just the opposite. He’s incredibly sensitive. He just doesn’t know how to express himself, at all, and comes across as being rude and argumentative.

So, yeah. That’s where I am. I was going through his grades last night on Infinite Campus…of course that wasn’t inspiring. The only classes he’s passing he has C’s in…and honestly I think that is only because you are being generous and there were a lot of simple assignments to earn points done in class.

I don’t know what to do. I don’t mean to sound like a horrible parent by saying this, and maybe, with four kids and a husband that struggles, due to pain, to get out of bed in the morning I may very well be in WAYYYYYY over my head (that of course was being sarcasm….there is no DOUBT that I’m in way over my head)…but I am at a complete loss. I cannot devote/waste 3 hours every night to studying with Ryan. (I say waste because I question it’s effectiveness). It’s just not possible. Physically or Emotionally. And, that being said, I don’t think it should be required. I feel like somewhere, underneath all of the hypochondria, outbursts, and apathy, there is a smart little boy that is completely capable of learning everything you’re putting in front of him…I just don’t know how to reach him.

If you have any ideas/suggestions I am completely open to them.

Please let me know,

Thanks,

Cindy K.

p.s. If I said something offensive towards you I apologize (I don’t think I did….). I am not mad or frustrated at you. I think you are a great teacher, and you are doing a great job. This frustration is not at all a result of anything you are saying or doing- it’s simply the result of years and years of me thrusting my head into a brick wall with no positive outcomes (and being sick). Sorry :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 11:51 AM
To: Kilmark, Cindy K

Subject: Hi

Hey! Boy we have had a rough morning! Ryan has been very argumentative with not only me, but others in the class. I finally gave him the choice to do what he needs to do or write the school code. I came back to check on him and he was still arguing with the group he was supposed to be working with, so now he has the school code to write. He is supposed to have you sign it tonight, so please be on the lookout for that.

We found his behavior report today, it went home with his neighbor, so he will have that tonight as well.

I wanted to check with you to see if he gave you all the fluency packet I sent home with him yesterday. His DIBELS score was 73, and our beginning of the year benchmark in 4th grade is 93. I noticed that he took a big drop from his end of the year score from last year, so we are going to work hard to get it back up there. He needs to be at 118 by the end of the year and I think he will be able to do it. This packet will come home each week to help him practice at home. It really helped out the kids last year, and it also will help him with comprehension.

Finally, Ryan has been eating cookies and drinking a kool-aid drink int the morning the past couple of days. I asked him if it was from his lunch and he said it was his breakfast. I don't have a problem with him having his breakfast in the class, but I wasn't sure if he was supposed to be eating that, so I wanted to check with you. Just let me know. Thanks!!


Mrs. Fourth Grade Teacher

1 comment:

Hyestyle Photography said...

Cindy, wow this all sounds so much like Harold when he was young. He does have ADD however not ADHD. Has Ryan been checked for this?? School was always a struggle, it made it more frustrating know how smart Harold really is.The ADD med did help so much. just an insight to some bio info. Hope it helps. Good luck hugs to you and Ryan
Teresa